There are endless ways to use steel in the construction of buildings. Often, the difference between light steel frame construction and structural steel buildings is not clear. The one aspect that the two have in common, is that they are both used as a primary structural element of the building process. There are several factors that one must take into consideration when choosing between structural steel or light steel framing for your steel construction.
Structural Steel Buildings
In this type of construction, there is a clear distinction between filling and structural elements. This means the primary structural elements are straight, such as columns or beams. Vertical charges are transferred as concentrated loads. When connecting two or more elements, it is done by bolting or welding.
- The plan can be conceived dependant of the structure.
- Supports heavy point loads or strong elements.
- All elements have an important weight.
- Connections that are welded are subject to a new quality standard.
Light Steel Frame Construction
The disc shaped elements in the structural steel buildings are part of the construction system. Each frame consists of a framework of constructive elements of which each piece acquires a limited section. Most commonly, the elements are cold formed steel profiles that are smaller sizes and thickness. When connecting pieces of light steel frame, it can be done with either rivets, bolts or nuts.
- Can be assembled in a workshop or on-site
- Lighter, less susceptible to weather conditions and resistant to termites.
- Needs attention during design in case of large momentum.
Here at SM Structures, we are a reputable structural steel design company and specialise in the manufacture of all steel buildings. Contact us for a quote today!